The Big Match Report MK Dons 1 v 2 Fleetwood

By The MKDSA Media Team

The Dons started the day in the bottom four looking to try and reduce the gap on Cambridge and Accrington.

Liam Manning made just one change from the previous game, with Louie Barry replacing the injured Darragh Burns.

Darragh made an appearance in the prematch player interview and stated his injury would keep him out for a while, but that his cooking skills were improving while on the mend.

Back to the match, unfortunately, in a first half of what could be described as stalemate and a tough watch. Not a lot of note happened until around the 38th minute and prior to that Fleetwood looked the busiest, more eventive and showed more desire to actually play joined up football.

The visitors, far too easily stopped us coming forward, cut through our midfield, with balls through the channels, or passed neatly, quickly and above all else with accuracy to carve us open with ease. Fortunately for the Dons, with no great goal threat.

Cumming had one save to make and he mostly did ok with it, the ball spilling for a corner. The Fleetwood keeper didn’t really have a shot to stop, the Dons best chances falling to Holland who blazed over after creating some space and a Grant header that looped over.

Harvey, had a disagreement with the officials as the ref unavoidably blocked him when on the edge of the box.

Manning had looked much more animated in the technical area and with an even more silent than usual StadiumMK you could hear lots of instructions and advice from him.

The second started with more purpose and Dons looked fired up from the off and applied more pressure than the first half.

From a corner in the 51st minute Tucker’s header caused chaos in the Fleetwood six yard box with a pinging ball falling to Captain O’Hora smashing the ball home to the delight and relief of the home supporters.

Fleetwood responded with an effort that was chalked out for offside.

Holland almost made it 2-0 on 57 minutes but the keeper stood up well to it.

First Dons change on 60 mins with Bradley Johnson whose first action was to put their number 4 into the Cowshed.

Fleetwood began to expand their play with two wider wingbacks and much faster pace to their game. Having received a couple of warnings, without heed, the ball came out to the 28 who dropped a shoulder sending the Dons defence the wrong way and curled the ball onto the far corner of the net past an unsighted Cumming.

Dons made a double change on 77 minutes with Barry and Eisa making way for Lawrence and Dennis. Tennai moving forward and Dennis swapping directly for Mo.

The sucker punch came on 90 minutes as Fleetwood took the lead for the first time.

Even with nine minutes added on the Dons couldn’t muster a really clear opportunity to snatch a point and ultimately time just ran out …quite possibly it has now for Manning too after this defeat.

The loss leaves Mannings Men just one off the bottom of the table on goal difference.

Previous Story

Final Score MK Dons 1 Fleetwood 2

Next Story

Manning's Position In The Balance?