By Ty Jenner
This week Ty renews an old friendship we have with Ipswich Town legend Richard Moss aka “The Cruncher” and asks the questions ahead of our League 1 fixture on Saturday.
- With the season kicking off a fortnight ago, what do you think are the expectations for Ipswich Town regarding position in the league?
Expectations for this season should be getting out of this division, but we have been saying that for the last 3 seasons and haven’t even made a play-off place. With the investment in the team, improvements with the stadium, everything is heading in the right direction, and it’s now time for the team to deliver on the pitch
- Are you happy with your club’s activity and business in the transfer market?
We have made 6 additions so far, which is a long way from the 19 we added last summer. Freddie Ladapo is a good acquisition up top, 60 goals in 4 seasons for Rotherham with 2 promotions, so hopefully he can hit the goal trail early and continue throughout the season. The exciting Tyreece John Jules has joined on a season loan from Arsenal and has pace to burn, maybe off the bench to start as an impact sub, will be interesting to see how he progresses throughout the season. Marcus Harness is a real good quality signing from Pompey, with 30 goals in the past 3 seasons. He knows the division, and for my money is an excellent signing. Dominic Ball has joined from QPR, a defensive midfielder sitting in front of the back 3 is just what we need, he will be a key player this season.
We have also signed two LWB, Greg Leigh joined on a free from Morecambe and has had an excellent pre-season. A strong, athletic type who can get up and down the touchline. Leif Davis joined Town from Leeds a week before the season, an attacking highly rated LWB who spent time on loan at Bournemouth last season. He struggled in the opener against Bolton giving away a penalty, so will be an interesting battle between him and Leigh to see who gets the shirt. My money would be on Davis as we spent well over a million on him and he can only get better by playing regular football.
- How do you think the Tractor Boys will approach the game? Will it differ from our previous clashes from last season? (Style of Play/Sit back/press etc)
Under McKenna, like MK, Town look to dominate the ball. We play 3 at the back, which I don’t see changing all season. Our wing backs are key to us, Burns last season excelling after joining from Fleetwood, and scooping all the POTY awards on offer.
But it’s goals and being more ruthless this season that will be the key to a successful season.
- Which Ipswich player do you think the Dons should watch out for in the game?
The skipper Sam Morsy is a real key player for Town, he can control and dictate play in this division, showing why he really for me should be playing championship football. He has been getting further forward since KMc came in but isn’t a natural goal scorer in my opinion.
- Realistically, where do you think the Dons will finish this season, considering the departures of Twine and Darling, as well as the arrivals?
I had Don’s 3rd in my pre-season predictions despite the loss of both Twine and Darling. You have made some really smart signings, and I really rate Liam Manning as a excellent young coach.
- Ipswich have made several big signings during their tenure in League One, why do you think it has not gone to plan getting promoted back to the Championship?
Why had it not gone to plan on L1 for Town?
That is the million-dollar question. Under Lambert we started the 2 seasons when he was in charge and then fell away badly, covid disrupting one season, when we probably wouldn’t have made the play offs even if the season had played out. Then Cook came in and literally demolished the whole squad, calling himself demolition man. I was a big Cook fan, but it turned into a bit of a disaster under him, 19 new signings last season, the word “GEL” was used so much by the fans, but 10 points from the first 10 games literally killed our season.
KMc came in and we only conceded 13 goals in 24 but never really scored enough. That has to change this season for us to be successful, which, fingers crossed it will.
- Many people have varied opinions on Stadium MK – have you been, and if so, what are your thoughts on the ground?
Excellent stadium, I went there when we played you in the league Cup when they only had seats in the lower tier. Spacious concourse, excellent views wherever you sit, and we like the big allocation that you give us which saw us bring over 7000 last season. Plus, it’s only 40 minutes from home.
- Which game are you looking forward to the most this season in the League?
I look forward to all games, some intriguing games this season with Wednesday, Derby etc in the division.
- Who do you think will be going up this season, and who do you think will be going down?
I’ve got Wednesday winning the division, Moore is a good manager and in Bannan they have the best player in the division. 2nd I’ve gone for Posh as they always score loads of goals and in JCH will have the league’s leading scorer in my opinion. Going down I’ve got Morecambe, Exeter, Cheltenham and FGR. But there are plenty of others who could be in the mix, Port Vale, Fleetwood to name 2. I’ve got Town going up via the POs at Wembley beating MK. Fingers crossed for that one.
- If you could have any current Dons player, who would it be and why?
There isn’t a current Don’s player who I would have, the one all Town fans wanted was Twine, we really missed the boat in not signing him when he was at Swindon. We had the chance to, but the manager then didn’t want him, what a missed opportunity that one was!!!
- Who or what made you support Ipswich Town?
I’ve been supporting Town since 1984, my Dad took me when I was 8 to watch Town v Watford, it was a 0-0 draw, but I was hooked from that day, it’s a labour of love now. My 3 boys are all season ticket holders and follow Town up and down the country. We are all hoping this season finally we can get out of this division and back to the championship. I think it’s great that they support Town when it’s all too easy nowadays for kids to support your City’s, Liverpool, Utd etc.
Thanks for the opportunity to get involved and good luck for the season ahead.
- Thank you for participating in our Trash Talk, it really helps us to understand and see the perspective of opposition fans. So finally, the most important question of all is what is your score prediction?
Thanks for the opportunity to get involved and good luck for the season ahead. 2-0 Town.
Richard Moss Ipswich Town Fan (The Cruncher from Talking Town ITFC Podcast)