The BOBcat Digital Big Match Review

By Alfie Marlborough

Match Report – Cambridge United

The Dons picked up three massive points after winning by one goal to nil against a poor Cambridge side.

Mo Eisa’s superb free-kick was the difference as the Dons closed the gap between themselves and safety. 

It was a quiet start to the game in Buckinghamshire with neither side being able to take control of the game early.

Cambridge had the first chance of the game following a miscommunication between Tucker and Watson which sent Lankaster through bearing down on goal but good recovery work from Tennai and good positioning from Cumming in goal prevented the visitors from taking the lead at Stadium MK.

Five minutes later, the Dons had a chance of their own to go ahead after some neat work to bring the ball forward. Grant had the ball in the middle of the park and shifted the ball out to Holland on the Left who cut the ball back to Devoy who doesn’t take the shot first time to try and find a more suitable angle for a shot but the threat fizzled out and led to a corner for the Dons which failed to cause any danger for the visitors.

Dean Lewington let fly from afar shortly after the half-hour mark but his effort harmlessly flew wide. Moments later, Cambridge thought they had gone ahead through Tracy who cut in on his right foot before perfectly placing his effort in the bottom corner beyond the reach of Cumming.

Fortunately for the Dons, The Amber Army’s celebrations were cut short after the Linesman raised his flag for offside as one of the Cambridge players was deemed to be in the way of the keeper in an offside position.

The Dons took the lead ten minutes before the break after a stunning free-kick from Mo Eisa. Conor Grant was brought down just outside the area and up stepped Mo Eisa who struck the ball perfectly into the top Left corner despite Mitov being at full-stretch in the Cambridge Goal.

The Dons had the momentum and Eisa tried to produce another spectacular finish with an overhead kick but the ambitious effort ended well wide of the goal.


Cambridge began the second-half with two set-pieces in dangerous positions. KaiKai was late on Brophy in a similar position to which Mo Eisa was fouled in but the cross in was dealt with by the Dons. Shortly afterwards, Watson fouled his man allowing former Don Conor McGrandles a chance from 25-yards-out. The Scottish Midfielder struck his effort high and over the bar.

KaiKai went close to doubling the Dons’ advantage but was only denied by a brave block by a Cambridge Defender. The winger beat several men to get into a shooting position but his well-hit effort towards goal was defended well by the Cambridge defense who were coping well with the Dons who were dominant.

Harvie was next to have a good chance but squandered his chance. The Scottish Defender robbed the ball off Liam Bennett and had the goalkeeper in his sights. Harvie cut in on the left but sliced an effort out for a throw-in.

With not long to go, Jamie Cumming produced a phenomenal save from close range. A corner was whipped in towards a crowded six-yard area which fell nicely to a Cambridge player who headed low but the Dons’ number one got down well and was equal to it.

In the closing stages of the game, Cambridge piled on the pressure to try and snatch an equaliser late on at Stadium MK but some strong and solid defensive work saw the Hosts secure the win and pick up a clean-sheet.

A massive win for the Dons that could be crucial come the end of the season. The Dons had their chances but it was Mo Eisa’s fabulous free-kick strike which saw the Dons take all the points.

A massive shout-out to Captain Dean Lewington today who was thrown in at the deep-end upon his return from injury due to a lack of numbers at the back for the Dons and produced a faultless performance and was an integral part to the victory.

Next up is another massive game away to fellow relegation threatened side – Accrington Stanley.

Previous Story

Final Score Dons 1 Cambridge 0

Next Story

Payne's Player Ratings