The BOBcat Digital Match Report: Forest Green Rovers

By The MKDSA Media Team

The Dons fought back from a goal down to leave Gloucestershire with all three points tonight.

As anticipated by some Mark Jackson made a couple of changes to the last outing. In came Zak Jules for the injured Warren O’Hora and a debut for Jonathan Leko for Nathan Holland and also technical changes brought in Bradley Johnson and Will Grigg. On the bench in came Conor Grant, returning from injury Darragh Burns and yesterdays signing Max Dean.

The game started slowly as both teams struggled with a very bobbly pitch, many of the Dons players slipping and sliding way too often. Literally nothing happened in the first 25 minutes other than Bakayoko picked up a yellow where the elbow he gave Tucker could and possibly should have been a red.

The first bit of excitement of any sort was a Rovers corner which was dealt with quite easily. The Dons then allowed the home side too much room, failed to shut down or challenge successfully with a bobble, and lucky break as Cumming flapped and Peart-Harris stabbed it home 1-0.

The Dons responded quite well and fought back with a decent amount of possesion and pressure. The Dons forced a couple of corners and when Harvie found Leko his cross to the far post, Eisa’s superb touch instantly killed the ball giving him the time to shape up and drive the ball back across the keeper into the far corner 1-1

Less than a minute later Grigg had a chance to head the Dons into an unexpected half time lead but his mistimed header went just wide.

Half time 1-1

The second half started and saw Johnson pick up an early yellow card, the next thing of note was on 51 minutes. McEachran put the ball on a plate for Eisa. Mo did Mo things and the Dons were ahead. He ran onto the perfect pass and slotted it home like we’ve seen him do lots of times.

Following this both teams decided to huff and puff, they both got stuck in without really threatening the scoreboard operator, infact the multiple substitutions kept them far busier.

The Dons tried in patches to create but in all honestly the nearer it got to full time the deeper we dropped, first going to what looked like a back five and even an eight at times.

We got our first look at Max Dean on 88 minutes and he put himself about causing the Rovers number 23 all sorts of problems. He covered a lot of ground and niggled and fought and endeared himself to the fans.

The fourth official held up nine minutes as the fog rolled in of the Cotswolds and we all thought they’d held it upside down.

The celebrations as the valliant Dons side reached the final whistle were shared by the travelling Dons fans. Was it relief or joy? Who cares. It was a vital three points. We climbed out of the drop zone. All we now need to do is out point the five below us.

I know. It’s that simple. See you Tuesday night.

Previous Story

Final Score here in Nailsworth Forest Green 1 v 2 MK Dons

Next Story

The Game in Numbers: Forest Green Rovers