The Big Match Report Plymouth Argyle

By Alfie Marlborough

The Dons were handed their second defeat on the trot to league Leaders Plymouth Argyle on the road this afternoon despite a much more positive showing from the Dons.

The Dons had an early opportunity to take the lead through Mo Eisa within the first minute of the game. Louie Barry received the ball midway in the Plymouth Half and moved it up the pitch before playing it on to Eisa who got past Dan Scarr but his effort towards goal was saved comfortably by Mike Cooper.

Despite the early chance, Plymouth took the lead just after three minutes through defender James Wilson who got on the end of a free-kick. Argyle came forward and some neat passing from the hosts fell to Morgan Whittaker but a last ditch challenge from Lawrence prevented a shot on goal. However, the free-kick came following the clearance and the ball was met by Wilson who was left unmarked, ready to tap home. Jamie Cumming was nowhere to be seen and was just waiting aimlessly for the ball to fall into his hands. 

Nial Ennis almost doubled the hosts lead just five minutes later after being played through and getting past Jack Tucker before firing wide of the post across the face of goal. Mayor followed up with a chance shortly afterwards but Mayor’s effort from outside the area was off-target and failed to threaten Cumming in goal.

Mo Eisa went close again after some phenomenal work from Devoy who picked up the ball in the Dons’ half and made a run all the way to the edge of the Plymouth box before slipping through Eisa who’s first time effort was saved well by the legs of Mike Cooper. 

The Dons got themselves an equaliser through Nathan Holland just a moment after Eisa’s golden opportunity to level the scoring. Henry Lawrence won the ball midway in the Plymouth half who had his attempt from the edge of the box blocked but the deflection found Holland who took a touch before perfectly placing his effort in the right hand side of the goal.

Louie Barry went down in the area shortly after the equaliser but the referee waved the Dons’ appeals away. The winger went down after Lonwijk’s tackle to out the attacker rather than the ball. Bali Mumba was set free down the left hand side and had just the keeper to beat but it was a poor effort from the teenager who shot straight at Cumming who stood his ground and imposed himself on the winger.

Just ten minutes from the interval the Hosts had got their second and regained the lead through striker Niall Ennis. Argyle won the ball back from the Dons deep in their half after the visitors tried to counter. An incredible ball from Whittaker cut open the Dons Defence which allowed Ennis to run through and slot home.

There were to be a few half chances for the Dons between the goal and half-time, the best opportunity coming from Eisa whose effort was deflected just past the post. Nathan Holland drove forward with the ball before cutting it back to the striker who’s rather weak effort struck the Argyle defender and went behind for a corner.


Following the break, Plymouth came out looking the better of the two sides and created plenty of chances of going forward. With that said, the Dons defence had seemed to be coping well against a very talented frontline. 

Argyle did get their ford through Morgan Whittaker who wanted in on the goal scoring action after providing the first two. The on-loan striker picked up the ball on the edge of the box and opened his body up before firing across goal and seeing his effort cannon in off the post to add a third for the hosts.

Barry had a wonderful opportunity go begging to halve the deficit just moments after Argyle’s third. The winger found himself at the back post open when a wonderful ball was played into him. Somehow, his effort from a couple of yards missed the goal and ended up wide.

Very little happened after that as Plymouth looked to kill the game off and calm things down. The Dons had a couple off half-chances and corners but nothing to write home about.


Its another defeat for the Dons who find themselves second bottom in the league with only Forest Green behind. However – especially in the first-half, despite some defensive struggles and errors, it was a much more spirited performance from the Dons who created several chances going forward.

The Dons now have a very important break coming up which must see us improve if we have any hope of moving up the league and trying to climb out of the bottom four.

Previous Story

Final Score Plymouth 3 MK Dons 1

Paynes Player Ratings
Next Story

Payne's Player Ratings Plymouth Argyle