The Big Match Report Portsmouth 0 v MK Dons 2

The MKDSA Media Team

Dean Lewington’s unbeaten league record remains intact as the Dons pulled off an amazing away win this afternoon at Fratton Park to close the gap to safety to just one win.

Winning their first game in nearly two months of league football the Dons remembered how to dig out a win showing masses of grit and determination.

Playing a back three of Tucker O’Hora and Zak Jules they faced an early storm as Portsmouth worked Cumming twice in the first few minutes with their two wingbacks flying down the wings. The Dons stood steadfast and resolute and silenced any chimes and tried to build threats of their own.

The Dons began to settle and the home fans realised their home form frailties were being exposed as Harvie tried to get in behind and cross forcing Pompey back.

The ref seemed at ease with most of the challenges being put in and let the game flow although a couple of free kicks were awarded providing limited goal scoring opportunities to either side.

A reaction save, from a freekick, by Cumming saved a certain opener for the home side when he tipped a freekick onto the bar and saved the follow up.

The longer the first half went on the more relaxed and dare i say solid, almost confident the Dons looked. Culminating in a Bradley Johnson headed goal just over the ten minutes from half time sending the 236 away fans into raptures and we decided momentarily we possibly loved him again.

Pompey looked a bit rattled and that energised Lewi’s men to reach the break in the lead as they fought, chased and harried the blue shirts like we’d not seen in a while.

Portsmouth 0 MK Dons 1 (ht)

The first 15 minutes were crucial to how the second would ultimately pan out and in the 54th minute came a defining moment. In a slick move that saw a one on one end with the assistant referee flag raised to cancel out what looked to be a very tight decision from the other end of the ground.

Portsmouth lost their cool at this point with the referee surrounded by almost the whole of the Portsmouth, Gosport and the blue side of Hampshire. It appeared that the yellow card was brandished to Pompey boss Cowley and all the while this went on the Dons regrouped and then went about their business.

Grant missed a chance to make it two when put through by a superb Johnson pass, it felt like he was running through treacle as with all the time in the world the keepers outstretched arm sent the ball out for a corner.

A few minutes later a free kick out wide on the Dons left saw absolute panic in the Pomey six yard box as the ball bobbled around and finally after weeks of getting no luck the ball dropped between three Dons players a coupe of yards out eventually after what felt like hours and a few swiped Tucker jabbed it home and the away end went crazy, home fans started to leave in droves evn before the game restarted.

Subtle time management here and there saw the Dons snuff out any real threat, even with seven added minutes.

So on an afternoon where very few of us predicted anything but a defeat by a few goals the Ginger Boyband of Martin and Lewington got back together and with Roadie Lewington senior in the dug-out to advise “the boys” and the Dons headed home with three valuable and quite unexpected points.

FT Portsmouth 0 MK Dons 2

Previous Story

Final Score At Fratton Park Portsmouth 0 MK Dons 2

Paynes Player Ratings
Next Story

Payne's Player Ratings