By Ty Jenner
Ty caught up with Callum a Taunton Town fan ahead of this intriguing cup tie to garner his thoughts about the tie, his expectations and just how damn exciting this Saturday really is for him and his fellow Peacocks.
On Saturday, MK Dons begin their FA Cup campaign as they take on National League South side Taunton Town. In preparation for the match, we spoke to Taunton fan @Callum3081 on Twitter to ask some questions regarding the game. Many thanks for taking part!
- How’s life been for Taunton after securing promotion to the National League South for the first time?
It’s been a tough start to the league season which is our first at national league south level. However I think we’ve adapted well into a tougher league with better players, more travelling and teams who have been around the league. We’ve had a few draws in recent weeks and in those games we’ve deserved to come away with 3 points so hopefully time will tell and we’ll start picking up more 3 points
- Where do you think Taunton will be looking to finish in the league this season?
At the start of the season I said to fellow Taunton supporters I would be quite happy with a mid table finish and a cup run, the cup run part is ongoing and has been fantastic for the club & supporters. This season is all about finding our feet at this level and I’m sure most people involved with the club would be happy with a mid table/Top half finish on top of this cup run.
- Were you happy with the clubs’ activity and business in the transfer market during the summer?
I think every fan dreams of players they want to sign for the club they support every pre season, (myself included). Overall I think we need strength and numbers to come into this squad with players heading out the door early. Overall I’m happy with incomings, particularly a big fan of Jack Bycroft, a young lad on loan from Southampton who has been fantastic so far. Obviously there’s positions that can be improved even further, but unlike other clubs we don’t have the finances to go out and splash sums of money on certain players. I have full faith in the squad this season.
- Who or what made you support Taunton Town?
8 years When I was 16 I was in the Taunton area for a local game of football for a team I played for at the time, however the game was called off so I had time to spend and decided to go and visit The Peacocks. I went back a further couple of times that year and eventually got talking to people who I still class as good mates to this day and from that moment on I never looked back. This was 7-8 years ago and since then those 4-5 people I spoke to are still there week in week out amongst many others who I’ve met over the years which is the fantastic thing about following a non league club.
- How well did they play over the two games against Yeovil to reach the First Round Proper?
Taunton were the better team and could have quite easily won the tie in the first game, however a replay was needed and we carried on where we left off. In my opinion if you were a neutral you would have probably thought Taunton were the full time side not the part time one.
- Were you pleased with being drawn away at MK Dons?
Yes it’s fantastic playing the real dons, I’ve seen Taunton in the 1st round hat 3 times (pending replays) and this was the first time a lot of our supporters had seen us draw a league side in round 1.
- It’s a huge day for the club as they come to Milton Keynes in their first ever meeting with the Dons. Will you expect to be backed by a large support?
Absolutely, I’m sure the people of Taunton will come out in huge numbers with claret and blue on show all over that away end, i would like to think we’d have anything between 750-1000 on the day.
- Will it be your first time coming to Stadium MK? What is your opinion of the ground?
It’s a fantastic stadium which really wouldn’t look out of place of place in the premier league, it’s a massive day for our club and it’ll be a fantastic experience for our fans who don’t normally get the chance to go to stadiums like this.
- How do you think your team will approach the game?
I genuinely think we will approach the game the same way we would any other game.
- What players do you think the Dons should look out for/who will cause the Dons problems?
I’m sure lots of supporters will have a different opinion to mine, but for me it’s Ollie Chamberlain. This lad has been with Taunton for many seasons and we’ve been lucky enough to see his game come on so much to be one of the best midfielders in the league. He can play numerous positions across the attack/midfield and even sometimes plays right back, a very quick and a very effective player with a dangerous long range effort on him if given the space.
- How surprised have you been by MK Dons’ start to the League One season baring in mind they were a point away from the Championship last season?
Very surprising, didn’t expect the dons to be in this position at all this season and I even noticed it before this tie was even drawn.
- It’s been a slow start for the Dons this season in League One, do you think this could influence the cup game in Taunton’s favour?
I don’t think it’ll change much within the plans and confidence the players have going into this game, I’m sure it’ll be discussed between the players and staff and obviously I’m sure a lot of people could see it as a potential upset on the cards. However it’s also a chance for the dons to start a run of form in a game where they will be favourites and expected to go through.
- If you could have any current player from the Dons who would it be and why?
For me there’s only one answer to this, it has to be Will Grigg!! A goal scorer who even comes with a certain song you might of heard about over the years,
- Thank you for participating, it really helps us understand our opponents and what to expect from them. Finally, what do you think the score will be?
Thanks for having me! I’m going to with a 2-2 draw and a replay!!
Up The Peacocks
Brilliant replies Callum. Thank you. We wish you and the whole of Taunton a safe journey up to MK and hope you have a grand day out cheering on your boys. Good Luck. Ed