A big week in League 1, the title was wrapped up by Hull City and deservedly, Peterborough fell over the finishing line in the last minute to also get promoted, The Cobblers and Rochdale had their relegation to League 2 confirmed joining Bristol Rovers and Swindon Town, and Sunderland and Lincoln had their playoff berth confirmed, and Blackpool have just about joined them, the only thing in real doubt is the final place and that’s between Pompey, Oxford United and Charlton.

Accrington 1 Charlton 1

Charlton missed a golden opportunity to put pressure on the teams above them in a game they really needed to win. This one was a bit of a slow burner only bursting to life in the final 10 minutes, Joe Pritchard picked up the ball just inside the Charlton half and there appeared to be no danger, as he kept pressing space opened up, so he let a shot go from just outside the area and scored. Deep into injury time Chuks Aneke rescued the result and possibly Charlton’s playoff hopes by prodding home a Morgan free kick to record his 15th goal of the season.


AFCW 1 Portsmouth 3

With 23 minutes gone Joe Pigott but the home side in front when a deflected pass fell into his path and he slotted it past the keeper. With the cheers of the AFC bench still ringing round the Meccano stadium  Pompey responded immediately Ronan Curtis turning in a Marcus Harness cross. With the half time whistle imminent Pompey struck twice, one bang on half time the other in the four minutes of injury time both scored by Lee Brown  from counter attacks. There were no more additions to the score line which meant AFC confirmed their League One existence next season and Pompey need to win at home to Accrington Stanley next Sunday to confirm their play-off place.  


Bristol Rovers 0 Crewe 1

Nothing to see here, Rovers are already relegated, Crewe stay in mid table obscurity. The only goal of the game came in the 19th minute from Callum Ainley who side footed home from 8 yards as once again the Rovers defence  was all too easily opened up.


Burton 1 Gillingham 1

Another game with nothing at stake. Jordan Graham put the Gills in front as he capitalised on a defensive error intercepting a poor pass, and he rounded the keeper to slide the ball home. Burton took a share of the spoils as they equalised in the 90th minute, substitute Ryan Broom  firing home from the edge of the box on his second attempt as his first one was blocked.   


Hull 3 Wigan 1

Hull City confirmed themselves as Champions without too much fuss over relegation threatened Wigan Athletic. Athletic were probably nervously looking over their shoulder with one eye on the Rochdale result, a win for Dale would have taken it to the last game of the season but they need not have worried. For the record Lewis-Potter, Honeyman, and Magennis scored for the Tigers, in reply Dodoo for Wigan.


Northampton 0 Blackpool 3

Any hopes of the Cobblers surviving and at least making it through to the last day was sunk without a trace as the Seasiders comfortably put them out of their misery. Goals from Garbutt and a brace from Yates did the damage sending Northampton back to League 2 after just one season, meanwhile Blackpool confirmed their play-off place.


Peterborough 3 Lincoln 3

Posh fell over the winning line to claim the runner up spot but it was at one stage was looking highly unlikely as Lincoln took a three goal lead just after the break with goals from Grant from the penalty spot and a brace from Scully. Dembele pulled one back 25 minutes from time, JCH 15 minutes from time, and deep into injury time he coolly slotted away a penalty to confirm promotion, although you have to ask if the ref is a Posh supporter, dubious penalty of the season,  if not the decade.


Plymouth 1 Sunderland 3

The Black Cats confirmed their playoff place, but it was hardly convincing as the game only changed when Plymouth were reduced to 10 men. Ross Stewart scored the opener for Sunderland racing through to collect an excellent pass and calmly slot home past the advancing keeper. Argyle skipper Joe Edwards equalised with a towering header at the back post, but just a minute later Plymouth were reduced to 10 men as Opuku received his second yellow card.

Sunderland  smelt blood  but it was until a few minutes before full time they finally broke Argyle’s resolve after hitting the post three times. Maguire  converted a penalty and Danny Hulme added the gloss two minutes into injury time.


Rochdale 1 Doncaster 2

Dale needed to better the Wigan result to give them an outside chance of beating the drop,  but this defeat consigns them to League 2 football next season after eight years in League One. With a brace from Taylor Richards the writing was on the wall for Dale, the home side did pull one back shortly before the end of the game , but it proved too little too late.


Shrewsbury 2 Oxford 3

Oxford have to hope that Portsmouth get last day jitters and Oxford win to grab themselves the unlikeliest of play off places,  but today’s result looked extremely unlikely at times, and it was only late on when Oxford finally gained control of the game. Oxford got off to a great start after three minutes through Elliott Lee who tapped a Matty Taylor cross into an empty net. The Shrews responded with goals from Matt Pennington and Josh Vela. James Henry equalised 20 minutes from time and Danny Agyei five minutes from time to give them a fighting chance next Sunday.

Swindon 1 Ipswich 2

Ipswich had gone over 10 hours without a goal but finally scored one minute before half time with a James Norwood penalty. Norwood added to his tally on the hour and Brett Pitman scored a consolation for the already relegated Robins. That was the first win for Ipswich in seven games.  


Previous Story


Default thumbnail
Next Story