By Martin Atherton

MK Dons saw out a comfortable 1-0 victory over promotion-chasing Portsmouth Saturday lunchtime. 

The Dons, bouncing back from a 4-0 trouncing at the hands of Lincoln on Saturday, were dominant throughout, and could arguably have had more. 

It was Fraser who found the net from the spot for the winning goal, but equally as important was the full return of David Kasumu, who shone in the middle for Russell Martin’s side. 

The first real chance of the game came to the away side, Ronan Curtis cutting inside and fizzing a shot straight into the hands of Andy Fisher. 

O’Riley was then up next, sending an equally-as-good effort at the Portsmouth goal, though unlucky to see it smash back off of the post.

The Dons then arguably should have had a penalty – Grigg clear as day dragged to the ground as a cross came in – but referee Martin Coy completely missed it and pointed for a goal kick. 

But the deadlock was then finally broken as Laird sold Charlie Daniels a dummy before the former Bournemouth fan took him to the ground, this time Coy pointing to the spot. 

Scott Fraser, as always, on hand to tuck away his eleventh of the season. 1-0!! 

The Dons then nearly doubled their lead immediately after, Grigg working excellently to fashion two efforts with his back turned to the Pompey goal – both, however, being blocked on the line by a Blues man. HT 1-0. 

The second half was as routine as ever for MK, who saw out a first victory in four after having previously won as many on the bounce. 

Straight from kick-off for the second period, Dons nearly doubled their lead again – an excellent knock-down by Grigg being met by Fraser, who smashed his effort against the crossbar.

Pompey then put a header from a corner against the bar before Fisher saved excellently from a Whatmough effort. 

But the game was then put to bed as Pompey academy graduate Whatmough came lunging in with two feet on Brown – completely unnecessary, and a challenge that would have left the Dons striker on a stretcher were it not for his quick reactions. Coy, with no other option, sent the Blues man for an early bath. 

It then became very routine for Dons, who fashioned one final chance through Brown and O’Riley – the latter, though, sending his effort just wide of the post. FT 1-0. 

An excellent result after Tuesday’s horror show at Sincil Bank.

Previous Story


Next Story